Access and Use
Special Collections is open to university staff, faculty, and students, as well as members of the public. General usage guidelines and access requirements can be found below:
- Researchers must complete a Research Application in order to use Special Collections material. Applications are renewable every three years. Photo identification is required.
- Outer wear, umbrellas, purses, briefcases, and other items must be deposited in the vestibule lockers. They may not be taken into research areas.
- Photo identification must be presented for each visit to Special Collections.
- Researchers must sign the log book at the desk upon entering and leaving the research area.
- All Special Collections materials are non-circulating and must be used in the Reading Room.
- All Special Collections materials are housed in closed stacks and are not available for browsing.
- A Request Form must be filled out for each item or collection requested to facilitate its retrieval and to establish responsibility for its use. No materials will be paged within fifteen minutes of Special Collections closing time. Although multiple items may be requested at one time, only one box or volume (or other unit) will be issued to a researcher at a time.
- All materials must be returned to a staff member on duty before the researcher leaves Special Collections. Arrangements may be made to reserve materials for continued use.
- Requests for limited reproduction of material is available when such duplication can be done without injury to materials and when duplication does not violate donor agreements or copyright law. Copies cannot be given to other institutions without prior permission of the Department Head.