|
1873 |
At the time of the founding of Vanderbilt University, the first library was in College Hall. |
|
1875 |
Peabody Normal College founded; located on the grounds of the University of Nashville |
|
1880 |
Law Library located in the former Dental Building on College Hill; building renamed Law School |
|
1882 |
School of Religion Library begun in old Wesley Hall |
|
1899 |
Geology and Pharmacy libraries located in Old Science Hall |
|
1900 |
Biology Library established in Old Science Hall |
|
1905 |
College Hall (now Kirkland Hall) fire; that library destroyed |
|
1906 |
Medical Library established at School of Medicine, located at College Hill. |
|
1907 |
Chemistry Library established in Furman Hall |
|
1914 |
Peabody College moves to 21st and Edgehill from College Hill. Library housed in the Home Economics Building. |
|
1916 |
Law School library moves to College Hall |
|
1919 |
Dedication of Peabody College Library Building |
|
1924 |
Scarritt College for Christian Workers relocated to Nashville from Kansas City |
|
1925 |
Medical Library established on campus when School of Medicine relocates from College Hill. |
|
1926 |
School of Pharmacy closes. |
|
1929 |
Biology Library moves to Buttrick Hall |
|
1932 |
Wesley Hall burns; School of Religion library partially destroyed. Geology and Physics Library in Garland Hall. |
|
1932 |
School of Religion Library re-established in Calhoun Hall |
|
1936 |
A. F. Kuhlman becomes Director of Libraries |
|
1936 |
Nashville Union Catalog created; card catalog that includes holdings of Vanderbilt, Peabody, Scarritt, Fisk University, Meharry Medical College, Nashville Public Library, and Tennessee State Library. |
|
1938 |
Joint University Library Corporation created by trust indenture. Participants were Vanderbilt University, George Peabody College and Scarritt College |
|
1941 |
General Library Building completed; School of Religion Library relocates to GLB |
|
1947 |
Music Library established; located in the Social-Religious Building (now the Wyatt Center) on the Peabody Campus |
|
1960 |
David Kaser named Library Director |
|
1962 |
Law Library moves into new Law School building |
|
1964 |
Medical Library moves into new wing of Medical Center North |
|
1965 |
Special Collections established; located in the General Library Building. |
|
1966 |
One millionth volume added: Liber Chronicarium (Nuremberg Chronicle) of 1493. Donated by Jesse Ely Wills. |
|
1968 |
Television News Archives established as part of library system; located in the General Library Building |
|
1968 |
Frank P. Grisham becomes Director of Libraries |
|
1969 |
Scarritt Library moves into new library building |
|
1969 |
H. Fort Flowers Wing added to General Library Building |
|
1970 |
Resource Information Center established at Owen School, located at 2505 West End Avenue |
|
1972 |
Science departmental library collections consolidated and moved into new Science Library in the Stevenson Center for the Natural Sciences |
|
1974 |
Library begins to catalog materials using a computer-based network, OCLC |
|
1976 |
Resource Information Center renamed Management Library |
|
1979 |
Vanderbilt/Peabody Merger. Joint University Library Corporation dissolved. Library system becomes Vanderbilt University Library. Scarritt Library no longer part of system. |
|
1981 |
Management Library moves to new Owen School location |
|
1984 |
Library system renamed The Jean and Alexander Heard Library, in honor of Chancellor Emeritus Alexander Heard and his wife Jean, founder of the Friends of the Library organization |
|
1984 |
Malcolm Getz named Associate Provost and Director of the Library |
|
1985 |
Library automation system begun. Called “Acorn,” reflecting not only the presence of an acorn on the Vanderbilt family crest, but also as metaphor for source, beginnings, nurture, compactness. |
|
1992 |
Two-millionth volume acquired: Journal of the Proceedings of the Congress, held at Philadelphia, September 5, 1774, the first edition of the official journal of the Continental Congress. Donated by Ridley Wills II. |
|
1992 |
Television News Archive reporting structure transferred to Office of the General Counsel. |
|
1994 |
Shirley Hallblade named Acting Director. |
|
1995 |
Annette and Irwin Eskind Biomedical Library building dedicated. |
|
1996 |
Paul M. Gherman named University Librarian. |
|
2002 |
Television News Archive becomes part of the library once again. |
|
2002 |
Education Library renamed Peabody Library. |
|
2004 |
Three-millionth volume acquired: Monuments Anciens du Mexique by Count Jean Frédéric de Waldeck. Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Ridley Wills III. |
|
2009 |
Connie Vinita Dowell named Dean of Libraries. |
|
2014 |
Joseph D. Combs, Jr. named Interim Dean of Libraries |
|
2016 |
Valerie Hotchkiss named University Librarian |