Dean's Fellow Projects
2016 Fall Dean’s Fellows Project
Description: This project explores the possibility of converting metadata from the TV news archive into RDF. This will promote integration with other news archives as well as discover relevant schemas, vocabularies and ontologies to prepare the basis for a potential grant application to build a SPARQL endpoint for the TV news archive.
- Become familiar with Semantic Web Technologies.
- Understand and analyze the metadata structure of the TVNews archive.
- Begin constructing example RDF metadata.
- Load sample RDF data into Stardog.
- Help formulate SPARQL queries.
Skills Needed or to be Developed:
Desired candidates will already possess:
- Organizational and project management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines;
- An interest in the Semantic Web;
- An interest in Communications, Political Science, Sociology from a Digital Humanities perspective;
- Strong writing skills;
The selected Fellow will be expected to develop proficiency in:
- Primary source research
- Metadata extraction
- Semantic Web tools such as RDF and Stardog
Potential Candidates’ Desirable Skills
The selected Fellow should have the ability to:
- Effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with diverse community groups;
- Work independently on projects and see them to completion;
- Take initiative with creative aspects of this project and seek ways to develop knowledge as necessary;
- Be flexible and have the desire to help with all aspects of the project
Mentors: Suellen Stringer-Hye, Linked Data and Semantic Web Coordinator; Zora Breeding, Cataloging Team Leader
Dates of Employment: Fall semester 2016
Contact: Suellen Stringer-Hye suellen.stringer-hye@Vanderbilt.Edu
Please follow the Application Process to apply for this fellowship. Applications will be accepted through April 4, 2016.