Davidson Academy chartered by the state of North Carolina when Nashville was five years old.
A rival school, called Federal Seminary, started in 1799, but by 1802 it merged with Davidson Academy.
Davidson Academy renamed Cumberland College.
Cumberland College renamed University of Nashville.
Medical Department of the University of Nashville opened.
Merger of University of Nashville Literary Department (arts and sciences) with the Western Military Institute, retaining the name University of Nashville.
Montgomery Bell Academy, preparatory school for the University of Nashville, opened.
State Normal School (also called Peabody State Normal School) opens as part of the University of Nashville.
Medical Department of the University of Nashville also became the Medical Department of the new Vanderbilt University.
State Normal School renamed Peabody Normal College, still under the auspices of the University of Nashville.
Vanderbilt University opened its own Medical School.
Peabody Normal College and the Medical School were all that remained of the University of Nashville.
Incorporation of George Peabody College for Teachers; replaced the Peabody Normal School.
University of Nashville Medical Department absorbed by the Medical Department of the University of Tennessee.
Last degree granted by the University of Nashville.
Selection of Bruce Payne, first president of George Peabody College for Teachers.
George Peabody College for Teachers opened its doors on its new campus across the street from Vanderbilt University (present location).
George Peabody College became part of Vanderbilt University.