James D. Squires Papers
The James D. Squires (1943- ) papers were donated to Vanderbilt University by Squires in 2005, and encompass his careers as a journalist and editor, as a political
adviser and as an author. The Nashville native graduated from Peabody College in 1966 and started his journalism career at the Tennessean. He now breeds thoroughbred
horses - including 2001 Kentucky Derby winner Monarchos - at his farm in Kentucky.
The materials in the collection include correspondence, newspaper clippings, photographs, videocassettes, audiocassettes and signed original political cartoons. Several
books, including copies of Squires' published works, were part of the original collection but have been removed and shelved with the Sevier and Southern Civilization
collections. These items include:
Roughly half the journalism correspondence is made up of letters to the editor. These are arranged chronologically rather than alphabetically because of the
topical nature of the letters. Additionally, many newspaper articles and faxes have been photocopied for preservation; the originals are located at the end of the appropriate
series or subseries and are arranged chronologically. Any photographs included with correspondence have also been photocopied and the originals placed with the other
photographs in each series or subseries.
- Chicago Tribune. The American Millstone. Edited by James Squires. Chicago: Contemporary Books, 1986.
- Gross, Ken. Ross Perot: The Man Behind the Myth. New York: Random House, 1992.
- Hollander, Richard. Video Democracy: The Vote-From-Home Revolution. Mt. Airy, MD: Lomond Publications, 1985.
- Squires, James D. ¡Chantaje a la Prensa! La Comunicación en Manos de las Grandes Multinacionales. (English title: Read All About It! The Corporate Takeover of American Newspapers.) Barcelona: Editorial Prensa Ibérica, 1994.
- Squires, James D. Horse of a Different Color. Advance reading copy. New York: Public Affairs, 2002.
- Squires, James D. Horse of a Different Color. New York: Public Affairs, 2002.
- Squires, James D. Horse of a Different Color. UK edition. London: Little, Brown, 2002.
- Squires, James D. Read All About It! The Corporate Takeover of America's Newspapers. Advance reading proofs. New York: Times Books, 1993.
- Squires, James D. Read All About It! The Corporate Takeover of America's Newspapers. Hardcover first edition. New York: Times Books, 1993.
- Squires, James D. Read All About It! The Corporate Takeover of America's Newspapers. First paperback edition. New York: Times Books, 1993.
The 63 boxes of the collection (totaling 31.1 linear feet) have been arranged in the following six series:
Journalism career (Series I),
Ross Perot campaign (Series II),
Books (Series III),
University courses (Series IV),
Biographical material with miscellaneous correspondence and writings (Series V), and
Multimedia and oversized material (Series VI).
(Note on access restrictions: Material related to Ross Perot's 1992 political campaign, for which Squires served as media adviser, is restricted until a biography is authorized by Perot.)
Overview | Biographical Note | Complete Finding Aid (pdf) |
Series I Listing | Series II Listing | Series III Listing |
Series IV Listing | Series V Listing | Series VI Listing
Special Collections | Heard
Library | Vanderbilt University
Copyright © Special Collections, Jean and Alexander Heard Library, Vanderbilt
Last modified: April 10, 2008
For more information, contact us at: <