Peabody College Chronology

1785
Davidson Academy chartered by the state of North Carolina when Nashville was five years old.

1799-1802
A rival school, called Federal Seminary, started in 1799, but by 1802 it merged with Davidson Academy.

1806
Davidson Academy renamed Cumberland College.

1826
Cumberland College renamed University of Nashville.

1851
Medical Department of the University of Nashville opened.

1855
Merger of University of Nashville Literary Department (arts and sciences) with the Western Military Institute, retaining the name University of Nashville.

1867
Montgomery Bell Academy, preparatory school for the University of Nashville, opened.

1875
State Normal School (also called Peabody State Normal School) opens as part of the University of Nashville.
Medical Department of the University of Nashville also became the Medical Department of the new Vanderbilt University.

1889
State Normal School renamed Peabody Normal College, still under the auspices of the University of Nashville.

1895
Vanderbilt University opened its own Medical School.

1905 (approx)
Peabody Normal College and the Medical School were all that remained of the University of Nashville.

1909
Incorporation of George Peabody College for Teachers; replaced the Peabody Normal School.
University of Nashville Medical Department absorbed by the Medical Department of the University of Tennessee.

1911
Last degree granted by the University of Nashville.
Selection of Bruce Payne, first president of George Peabody College for Teachers.

1914
George Peabody College for Teachers opened its doors on its new campus across the street from Vanderbilt University (present location).

1979
George Peabody College became part of Vanderbilt University.

 

OmniUpdate