Writings by others – articles and reprints
1. Maru, Rushikesh “Research Development in India and China: A Comparative Analysis of Research Statistics and Research Effort” preliminary draft of an occasional paper No. 1, Lund, Sweden, April 10, 1969.
2. Meany, George “Political Education is an A.F. of L. Tradition” reprinted from the American Federationist, September 1953; Merriam, Charles E. “Democracy: An Alumni School Address” reprinted from the University of Chicago Magazine, June 1940; Miller, Nicholas, “Pluralism and Social Choice” paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, 1982; Mitnik, Barry M. “ A Typology of Conceptions of the Public Interest” reprinted from Administration and Society, Vol. 8, No. 1, May 1976.
3. Morgenthau, Hans J. “Ethics and Politics”; “World Politics in the Mid-Twentieth Century” reprinted from The Review of Politics, Vol. 10, No. 2, April, 1948.
4. Morris-Jones, W. H. “ Dominance and Disssent: Their Inter-relations in the Indian party system” reprinted from Government and Opposition Journal, Vol., No. 4.
5. Moynihan, Daniel P. “Imperial Government” in Commentary, June, 1978.
6. Nandy, Ashis “ The Culture of Indian Politics: A Stock Taking” reprinted from The Journal of Asian Studies, Vol. XXX, No. 1, November 1970; “The Making and Unmaking of Political Cultures in India” reprinted from Daedalus, Journal of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Winter 1973; “The Non-Paradigmatic Crisis of Indian Psychology: Reflections on a Recipient Culture of Science” reprinted from the Indian Journal of Psychology, Vol. 49, 1974.
7. Nasr, Nafhat “Dual Executive Leadership in Lebarnon” reprint from Journal of Arab Affairs, Vol. 4, No. 1, 1985 ; Nathan, Robert R. “ A National Wage Policy for 1947: CIO’s Program for Wage Increases” ; Neumann, Sigmund “Conservatism: New and Old” foreword reprinted from Germany’s New Conservatism, 1957.
8. Nicholls, William H. “Social Biases and Recent Theories of Competition” reprinted from The Quarterly Journal of Economics”, Vol. 58, No. 1, November, 1943.
9. Ogden, Daniel M., Jr. “ The Politics of Conservation in the West, 1953 -54” reprint from Research Studies of the State College of Washington,Vol. XXIII, No. 1, March, 1955 with accompanying letter dated April 13, 1955.
10. Orren, Gary R. “ The Changing Styles of American Party Politics”;”Pocketbook Politics” in The Public Interest.
11. Prasad, R.C. “ The Indian Political Scientist: His Dilemmas and Responsibilities” reprinted from Political Scientist, Jan.- June 1965, with accompanying letter dated May 2, 1967.
12. Quinn, Robert W., M.D. “Family Planning: Definition and Purpose” reprinted from The Southern Medical Bulletin, Bulletin of the Southern Medical Association, Vol. 55, No. 4, December 1967.
13. Ranney, Austin “ The Line of the Peas: The Impact of the McGovern-Fraser Commission’s Reforms”; “Recent Changes in the Presidential Nominating Process” The Key Reporter Summer 1983.
14. Ranney, Austin and Berdecio, Marion Davis “ Activities of the Committee on Governmental and Legal Processes, 1964 - 72.
15. Rasmussen, Jorgen S. “Party Discipline in War- Time: The Downfall of the Chamberlain Government” reprint from the Journal of Politics, Vol. 32, 1970 ; Riesman, David. “ Some Observations on Community Plans and Utopia” reprinted from the Yale Law Journal, December 1947.
16. Rudolph, Lloyd I. and Rudolph, Susanne Hoeber “ New Era for India: the Fourth General Election,” from Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Feb. 1968; “ Jaipur Notes # 3” January 7, 1976; “Education and Politics Conference” transcript, New Delhi.
17. Rustow, Dankwart A. “ Agreement, Dissent, and Democratic
18. Schlesinger, Joseph A. “ The Structure of Competition for Office in the American States” reprinted from Behavioral Science, Vol. 5, No. 3, July 1960;
Sharma, K.D. and Sudarshan, Malik (Miss) “ Need for Science Policy In India “ script for radio talk on July 5, 1967 in the AIR programme “Spot Light”
Sheth, D. L. “ Structure of Indian Radicalism” reprinted from Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. X, Nos. 5 – 7, Annual Number, February 1975.
19. Shklar, Judith N. “Redeeming American Political Theory” reprinted fromAmerican Political Science Review, Vol. 85, No. 1, March 1991 ; Simon, Herbert A. “Notes on the Observation and Measurement of Political Power” in the Journal of Politics, Vol. 15, 1953.
20. Somit, Albert “ Reports of Two Key SSRC Committees: Back to the Board?”
21. Stocking, George W. “Saving Free Enterprise from its Friends” reprinted The Southern Economic Journal, Vol. XIX, No. 4, April, 1953.
22. Tanenhaus, Joseph “Organized Labor’s Political Spending: the Law and Its Consequences” in The Journal of Politics, Vol. 16, 1954; “ Supreme Court Attitudes Toward Federal Administrative Agencies 1947 -1956 : An Application of Social Science Methods to the Study of the Judicial Process” reprinted from the Vanderbilt Law Review, Vol. 14, 1961.
23. Toulmin, Stephen “From Form to Function: Philosophy and History of Science in the 1950’s and Now.”
24. Truman, David B. “ Disillusion and Regeneration: The Quest for a Discipline” reprinted from The American Political Science Review, Vol. LIX, No. 4, December, 1965; “The Committee on Political Behavior, 1949 - 63: An Introduction."
25. Waldo, Dwight “ Education for Public Administration in the Seventies” prepared for meetings of the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration, first draft January 1974.
26. Wahlke, John C. “Pre-Behavioralism in Political Science” Presidential Address, American Political Science Association, 1978 ; Weinberg, Alvin M. “How Can Man Live with Fission?” April 11, 1973 ; Weinberg, Steven “A Designer Universe” in The New York Review of Books, Oct. 21, 1999 based on a talk given in April 1999 at the Conference on Cosmic Design of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Washington, D.C.
27. Westfeldt, Wallace “ Settling a Sit-in” and “A Report on Nashville” reports prepared for the Nashville Community Relations Conference with accompanying letter from Alma Gault, Chairman of the NCRC, dated November 15,1960.
28. Worley, James S. “Industrial Research and the New Competition” reprint from the Journal of Political Economy, Vol. LXIX, April 1961.
29. “Memorandum on the Organization of the Du Pont Company, April, 1952 .
30. “The Structure of the Soviet Foreign Propaganda Organization” (A summary) ; “Program for Improving the Conduct of Government Affairs” August 14, 1952.
Writings by others – book reviews
1. Adams, Walter “A Blueprint for Technocracy” review of The New Industrial Stateby John Kenneth Galbraith, in Science, Vol. 157, August 1967 ; Albritton, Claude “A Call for Unity” review of Science: Growth and Change by Henry W. Menard, 1971 in Science, Vol. 176, May 1972 ; Almond, Gabriel A. review of Charles E. Merriam and the Study of Politics by Barry D. Karl, 1974 in American Political Science Review, Vol. 70,1976 ; Annan, Noel “Dean of the Cold War” review of Acheson: The Secretary of State Who Created the American World by James Chace in The New York Review of Books, Nov. 19, 1998.
2. Bernsstein, Richard “ A Score Card for Vietnam: It was Johnson 1, Nixon O” review of Vietnam: The Necessary War by Michael Lind, 1999 in The New York Times, Oct. 20, 1999 ; Brock, David “Personal Accounts” reviews of Inside the National Security Council by Constantine C. Menges and Perilous Statecraft: An Insider’s Account of the Iran Contra Affair by Michael A. Ledeen in Commentary, February, 1989 ; Buruma, Ian “The Last Laugh” review of Thy Hand, Great Anarch! India, 1921 – 1952 by Nirad C. Chaudhuri in New York Review of Books, Dec. 8, 1988.
3. Cottrell, Robert “ Europe: So Far, It Flies” review of This Blessed Plot: Britain and Europe from Churchill to Blair by Hugo Young and Redrawing the Map of Europe by Michael Emerson in the New York Review of Books, April 8, 1999 and “A Rite of Passage for the European Union” by Anne Swardson in the Washington Post National Weekly Edition, March 29, 1999.
4. Davies, Norman “The Misunderstood War” review of A World at Arms: A Global History of World War II by Gerhard L. Weinberg in The New York Review of Books, June 9, 1994 ; De Beer, Sir Gavin “ The World of an Evolutionist” review of This View of Life by George Gaylord Simpson in Science, Vol.143, March 20, 1964 ; De Grazia, Alfred review of Power and Society: A Framework for Political Inquiry by Harold D. Lasswell and Abraham Kaplan in The University of Chicago Law Review, Vol. 19, 1951.
5. Draper, Theodore “Rewriting the Iran – Contra Story” reviews of Men of Zeal: A Candid Inside Story of the Iran – Contra Hearings by Senators William S. Cohen and George J. Mitchell; Guts and Glory: The Rise and Fall of Oliver North by Ben Bradlee, Jr.; The Iranian Triangle: The Untold Story of Israel’s Role in the Iran- Contra Affair by Samuel Segev; Perilous Statecraft: An Insider’s Account of the Iran-Contra Affair by Michael A. Ledeen; Landslide: The Unmaking of the President 1984 – 1988 by Jane Mayer and Doyle McManus in The New York Review of Books, January 19, 1989 ; Draper, Theodore “The Iran-Contra Secrets” reviews of Turmoil and Triumph: My Years as Secretary of State by George P. Schultz; Undue Process: A Story of How Political Differences Are Turned into Crimes by Elliott Abrams; Fourth Interim Report to Congress by Lawrence E.Walsh, Independent Counsel for Iran/Contra Matters; With Reagan: The Inside Story by Edwin Meese in The New York Review of Books, May 27, 1993 ; Dworkin, Ronald “What Liberalism Isn’t” review of Social Justice in the Liberal State by Bruce A.Ackerman in The New York Review of Books, Jan. 20, 1983.
6. Epstein, Jason “Is the Party Over” reviews of Friendly Fascism: The New Face of Power in America by Bertram Gross; Crisis Investing: Opportunities and Profits in the Coming Great Depression by Douglas R. Casey in The New York Review of Books, Oct. 23, 1980 ; Fallows, James “ For Old Times Sake” reviews of Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President by Jimmy Carter; Crisis: The Last Year of the Carter Presidency by Hamilton Jordan in The New York Review of Books, Dec. 16, 1982 ; Fallows, James “Reagan: The Fruits of Success” reviews of Gambling with History: Ronald Reagan in the White House by Laurence I. Barrett;Reagan’s Ruling Class: Portraits of the President’s Top One Hundred Officials by Ronald Brownstein and Nina Easton in The New York Review of Books, Oct. 27, 1983.
7. Featherstone, Joseph “The Politics of Education” review of The Revisionist Revised: A Critique of the Radical Attack on the Schools by Diane Ravitch in The New York Times Book Review, June 18, 1978 ; Ferkiss, Victor “Present Discontents” review of An End to Political Science by Marvin Surkin and Alan Wolfe in Science, Vol 171 ; Frady, Marshall “Prophet with Honor” review of Let the Trumpet Sound: the Life of Martin Luther King, Jr. by Stephen B. Oates in The New York Review of Books, Oct. 27, 1983.
8. Geertz, Clifford “Learning with Bruner” review of The Culture of Education by Jerome Bruner in The New York Review of Books, April 10, 1997 ; Goodell, Rae “The French Connection” review of Scientists in Power by Spencer R. Weart in The New York Times Book Review, August 26, 1979 ; Graham, George J., Jr. review of Politics, Self, and Society: A Theme and Variations by Heinz Eulau in American Political Science Review, Vol. 81 ; Greenberg, David “Richard Hofstadter’s Tradition” review of The American Political Tradition: And the Men Who Made It by Richard Hofstadter in The Atlantic Monthly, November 1998.
9. Hacker, Andrew “Grand Illusion” review of One Nation, After All by Alan Wolfe; Someone Else’s House: America’s Unfinished Struggle for Integration by Tamar Jacoby; Reaching Beyond Race by Paul M. Sniderman and Edward G. Carmines; Portrait of American Jews: The Last Half of the 20th Century by Samuel C. Heilman; Roberts vs. Texaco: A True Story of Race and Corporate America by Bari-Ellen Roberts and Jack E. White in The New York Review of Books, June 11, 1998 ; Hacker, Andrew “Up for Grabs” review of The United States in the 1980’s by Peter Duignan and Alvin Rabushka; Setting National Priorities: Agenda for the 1980’s by Joseph A. Pechman; Human Scale by Kirkpatrick Sale; The Third Wave by Alvin Toffler; The Microelectronics Revolution edited by Tom Forester; The 1980’s: Countdown to Armaggeddon by Hal Lindsey; A Normal Agenda for the Eighties: Report of the President’s Commision for a National Agenda for the Eighties, U.S. Government Printing Office; Life After ’80: Environmental Choices We Can Live With edited by Kathleen Courrier in The New York Review of Books, April 30, 1981 ; Hacker, Andrew “ ‘Welfare’ the Future of an Illusion” review of The Economic Illusion: False Choices Between Prosperity and Social Justice by Robert Kuttner; Captitalism and the Welfare State: Dilemmnas of Social Benevolence by Neil Gilbert; Kate Quinton’s Days by Susan Sheehan; Selective Nontreatment of Handicapped Newborns: Moral Dilemmas in Neonatal Medicine by Robert F. Weir; What is a Wife Worth? by Michael H. Minton with Jean Libman Block; Demographic and Socioeconomic Aspects of Aging in the United States, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce; Catholic Social Teaching and the U.S. Economy, US Bishops Ad Hoc Committee, National Catholic News Service in The New York Review of Books, Feb. 28, 1985.
10. Hertzberg, Hendrik “Part of the Solution, Part of the Problem” review of “Democracy is in the Streets” From Port Huron to the Siege of Chicago by James Miller in New York Times Book Review, June 21, 1987 ; Higham, John “The Pot that Didn’t Melt” review of The Jews in America: Four Centuries of an Uneasy Encounter: A History by Arthur Hertzberg in The New York Review of Books, April 12, 1990 ; Horowitz, Irving Louis “A Third Way?” review of Whose Keeper? Social Science and Moral Obligation by Alan Wolfe in First Things, May 1990 ; Hoebel, Bartley G. “Bases of Motivation and Learning” review of Drives and Reinforcementss: Behavioral Studies of Hypothalmic Functions by James Olds in Science, Vol. 200, May 12, 1978.
11. Johnson, Chalmers “The Moral Equivalent of Defeat” review of The Rise of the Trading State by Richard Rosecrance; The Zero-Sum Solution by Lester C. Thurow in The Atlantic Monthly, December 1985.
12. Kazin, Alfred “The Father of Us All” review of Waldo Emerson: A
Biography by Gay Wilson Allen in The New York Review of Books, Jan. 21, 1982 ;
Kedourie, Elie “The Ironies of Negotiation” review of Camp David: Peacemaking and Politics by William B. Quandt in The New Republic, Sept. 1, 1986 ;
Kempton, Murray “The Wind that Blew in Reagan” review of The New Politics of Inequality by Thomas Byrne Edsall in The New York Review of Books, Feb. 28, 1985 ; Kerr, Sarah “The Two Faces of Mexico” review of Mexico: Biography of Power: A History of Modern Mexico, 1810 -1996 by Enrique Krauze, trans. by Hank Heifetz in The New York Times Book Review, July 27, 1997.
13. Lemann, Nicholas “Justice for Blacks” reviews of Race, Crime, and the Law by Randall Kennedy; Search and Destroy: African-American Males in the Criminal Justice System by Jerome G. Miller; Malign Neglect: Race, Crime, and Punishment in American by Michael Tonry in The New York Review of Books, March 5, 1998 ; Leughtenburg, William E. “Preacher of Parasox” review of Reinhold Niebuhr: A Biography by Richard W. Fox in The Atlantic Monthly, January 1986 ; Levin, Harry “The Great Good Place” review of Utopian Thought in the Western World by Frank E. Manuel and Fritzie P. Manuel in The New York Review of Books, March 6, 1980.
14. Lewontin, R.C. “ Darwin, Mendel, and the Mind” review of The Survival
of Charles Darwin: A Biography of a Man and an Idea by Ronald W. Clark; The Correspondence of Charles Darwin, Volume I: 1821 – 1836 edited by Frederick Burkhardt and Sydney Smith; Past Masters: Mendel by Vitezslav Orel; Past Masters: Lamarck by L. J. Jordanova; Neuronal Man: The Biology of Mind by Jean-Pierre Changeux in The New York Review of Books, October 10, 1985
Lewontin, Richard “The Politics of Science” review of Science, Truth, and Democracy by Philip Kitcher; Science, Money, and Politics: Political Triumph and Ethical Erosion by Daniel S. Greenberg; Our Posthuman Future: Consequences of the Biotechnolgy Revolution by Francis Fukuyama in The New York Review of Books, May 9, 2002 ; Lewontin, R.C. “Sex, Lies, and Social Science” review of Science in the Bedroom: A History of Sex Research by Vern L. Bullough; The Social Organization of Sexuality: Sexual Practices in the United States by Edward O. Laumann, John H. Gagnon, Robert T. Michael, and Stuart Michaels; Sex in America: A Definitive Survey by Robert T. Michael; John H. Gagnon, Edward O. Laumann, and Gina Kolata in The New York Review of Books, April 20, 1995 ; Lund, Michael S. “A Most Popular Conspiracy” review of Policymaking for Social Security by Martha Derthick in The Public Interest.
15. Mangone, Gerard J. review of Teaching Political Science: A Challenge to Higher Education by Robert H. Connery in The American Academy of Political and Social Science,Vol. 362, Nov. 1965 ; McPherson, James “The Heart of the Matter” review of Slavery and the American West: The Eclipse of Manifest Destiny and the Coming of the Civil War by Michael A. Morrison; Days of Defiance: Sumter, Secession, and the Coming of the Civil War by Maury Klein; Behind the Lines in the Southern Confederacy by Charles W. Ramsdell; The Confederate War by Gary W. Gallagher in The New York Review of Books, October 23, 1997.
16. Mirsky, Jonathan “The Never-Ending War” review of Argument Without End: In Search of Answers to the Vietnam Tragedy by Robert S. McNamara, James G. Blight, Robert K. Brigham, Thomas J. Biersteker, and Herbert Y. Schandler; Reporting Vietnam Part One: American Journalism 1959-1969; Part Two: American Journalsim, 1969 -1975, Library of America; American Tragedy: Kennedy, Johnson, and the Origins of the Vietnam War by David Kaiser; Guerrilla Deplomacy: The NLF’s Foreigh Relations and the Viet Nam War BY Robert K. Brigham; Choosing War: the Lost Chance for Peace and the Escalation of War in Vietnam by Fredrik Logevall; Dragon Ascending: Vietnam and the Vietnamese by Henry Kamm; The Secret War Against Hanoi: Kennedy’s and Johnson’s Use of Spies, Saboteurs, and Covert Warriors in North Vietnam by Richard H. Shultz, Jr.; In the Jaws of History by Bui Diem, with David Chanoff; A Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America’s Last Years in Vietnam by Lewis Sorley; Vietnam, the Necessary War: A Reinterpretation of America’s Most Disastrous Military Conflict by Michael Lind; America’s War in Vietnam: A Short Narrative History by Larry H. Addington; Memories of a Pure Spring by Duong Thu Huong in The New York Review of Books, May 25, 2000 ; Moon, J. Donald review of The Descent of Political Theory: The Genealogy of an American Vocation by John G. Gunnel in American Political Science Review, Vol. 88, No. 3, Sept. 1994.
17. Morgan, Edmund S. “The Genuine Article” review of Founding Father: Rediscovering George Washington by Richard Brookhiser in The New York Review of Books, June 25, 1992 ; Morgan, Edmund S. “The Second American Revolution” review of The Radicalism of the American Revolution by Gordon S. Wood; Morgan, Edmund S. “Popular Fiction” review of A Machine That Would Go of Itself: The Constitution in American Culture by Michael Kammen; Supplement to Max Farrand’s Records of the Federal Converntion of 1787 by James Hutson; Decision in Philadelphia: The Constitutional Convention of 1787 by Christopher Collier and James Lincoln Collier; A More Perfect Union by William Peters; The Founding: A Dramatic Account of the Writing of the Constitution by Fred Barbash; The Genius of the People by Charles L. Mee, Jr.; Peripheries and Center: Constitutional Development in the Extended Politics of the British Empire and the United States, 1607, 1788 by Jack P. Greene; Are We to Be A Nation? The Making of the Constitution by Richard B. Bernstein with Kym S. Rice; Witnesses at the Creation: Hamilton, Madison, Jay and the Constitution by Richard B. Morris; The Forging of the Union, 1781 – 1789 by Richard B. Morris; Novus Ordo Seclorum: The Intellectual Origins of the Constitution by Forrest McDonald; Encyclopedia of the American Constitution by Leonard W. Levy, Kenneth L. Karst, and Dennis J. Mahoney; The Founder’s Constitution by Philip B. Kurland and Ralph Lerner; The Constitution in the Supreme Court: The First Hundred Years, 1789-1888 by David P. Currie; The Enduring Constitution by Jethro K. Lieberman; We Hold These Truths: Understanding the Ideas and Ideals of the Constitution by Mortimer J. Adler; Taking the Constitution Seriously by Walter Berns; The Establishment Clause: Religion and the First Amendment by Leonard W. Levy; The First Liberty: Religion and the American Republic by William Lee Miller in The New Republic, June 29, 1987.
18. Paret, Peter review of Strategy: The Logic of War and Peace by E.N. Luttwak in The New Republic, May 11, 1987 ; Pindyck, Robert S. “The American Energy Debate” review of Energy Future: Report on th Energy Project at the Harvard Business School by Robert Stobaugh and Daniel Yergin; Energy: The Next Twenty Years by The Ford Foundation Study Group Report in The Public Interest Powers, Thomas “How the Bomb was Kept from Hitler” review of German National Socialism and the Quest for Nuclear Power, 1939 – 1949 by Mark Walker, May 1990; Powers, Thomas “The Unanswered Question” review of Copenhagena play by Michael Frayn in The New York Review of Books, May 25, 2000; Preston, Julia “Looking Back at the Revolution” review of Blood of Brothers: Life and War in Nicaragua by Stephen Kinzer; Inside Central America: Its People, Politics, and History by Clifford Krauss in The New York Review of Books, July 18, 1991.
19. Rothschild, Emma “The Real Reagan Economy” review of Budget of the
United States Government: Fiscal Year 1989; Economic Report of the President, Transmitted to the Congress, February 1988, Together with the Annual Report of the Council of Economic Advisers in The New York Review of Books, June 30, 1988 ;
Ryan, Alan “It Takes All Kinds” review of The Next American Nation: the New Nationalism and the Fourth American Revolution by Michael Lind in The New York Review of Books, Oct. 5, 1995 ;
Ryan, Alan “The Politics of Dignity” review of The Decent Society by Avishai Margalit in The New York Review of Books, July 11, 1996 ;
Ryan, Alan “Who Was Edmund Burke?” review of The Great Melody: a Thematic Biography and Commented Anthology of Edmund Burke by Conor Cruise O’Brien in The New York Review of Books, Dec. 3, 1992.
20. Book reviews “Empirical Theory and Methodology” in American Political Science Review, Vol. 77, 1983.
21. Salisbury, R.F.”Models for a United Social Science” review of The Logic of Social Systems by Alfred Kuhn in Science, Vol. 187, January 1975 ;
Sayle, Murray “KE007: A Conspiracy of Circumstances” review of Black Box: KAL 007 and the Superpowers by Alexander Dallin; KAL Flight 007: The Hidden Story by Oliver Clubb; Final Report of Investigation as Required in the Council Resolution of September 16, 1983 [C-WP/7809] ; International Civil Aviation Organization; 1818th Report to Council by the President of the Air Navigation Commission [C-WP/7809] ; International Civil Aviation Organization; North Atlantic Airspace Operations Manual – Fourth Edition ; Civil Aviation Authority; NOPAC Route Systems Operations Handbook, Anchorage Air Route Traffic Control Center, Federal Aviation Administration in The New York Review of Books, April 25, 1985 ;
Scully, Michael “Capitalism’s ‘Moral Hazard’” review of Wealth and Poverty by George Gilder in The Public Interest.
22. Searle, John “The Storm Over the University” review of Tenured Radicals: How Politics Has Corrupted Our Higher Education by Roger
Kimball; The Politics of Liberal Education edited by Darrly L. Gless and
Barbara Herrnstein Smith; The Voice of Liberal Learning:Michael Oakeshott on Education edited by Timothy Fuller in The New York Review of Books, December 6, 1990;
Smith, John Maynard “Natural Selection of Culture?” review of Culture and the Evolutionary Process by Robert Boyd and Peter J. Richerson in The New York Review of Books, Nov. 6, 1986.
23. Solow, Robert M. “Arthur Okun’s Last Work” review of Prices and Quantities: A Macroeconomic Analysis by Arthur M. Okun in The Public Interest ;
Solow, Robert M. “On Golden Pond” review of Gray Dawn: How the Coming Age Wave Will Transform America – and the World by Peter G. Peterson in The New York Review of Books, May 6, 1999; Stade, George review of Dimentions of a New Identity by Erik H. Erikson; Civilized Man’s Eight Deadly Sins by Konrad Lorenz in The New York Times Book Review ; Steel, Ronald “Shultz’s Revenge” review of Turmoil and Triumph: My Years as Secretary of State by George P. Shultz in The New York Review of Books, March 26, 1998 ; Stone, Robert “American Apostle” review of God and the American Writer by Alfred Kazin in The New York Review of Books, March 26, 1998.
24. Thompson, Leonard “Comparatively Speaking” review of The
Comparative Imagination: On the History of Racism, Nationalism, and Social Movements by George M. Fredrickson; Black Liberation: A Comparitive History of Black Ideologies in the United States and South Africa by George M. Fredrickson; Comrades in Business: Post-Liberation Politics in South Africa by Heribert Adam, Frederik Van Zyl Slabbert, and Kogila Moodley in The New York Review of Books, May 14, 1998 ;
Tobin, James “How to Think about the Deficit” review of How Real is the Federal Deficit? by Robert Eisner; The Deficits: How Big? How Long? How Dangerous? by Daniel Bell and Lester Thurow, Joseph I. Lubin
Memorial Lectures No. 2 in The New York Review of Books, Sept. 25,
25. Walzer, Michael “The New Masters” review of The Intellectuals on the
Road to Class Power by George Konrad and Ivan Szelenyi, trans. by Andrew Arato and Richard E. Allen; The Future of Intellectuals and the Rise of the New Class by Alvin W. Gouldner in The New York Review of Books, March 20, 1980
Wolfe, Alan “What the New Immigrants Can Learn From the Old: The Return of the Melting Pot” review of Ethnic Identity: The Transformation of White America by Richard D.Alba; The American Kaleidoscope: Race, Ethnicity, and the Civic Culture by Lawrence H. Fuchs; Immigrant America: A Portrait by Alejandro Portes and Ruben G.Rumbaut; Ethnic Options: Choosing Identities in America by Mary C. Waters in the New Republic, Dec. 31, 1990.
26. Wood, Gordon S. “ Politics without Party” review of Presidents Above Party: The First American Presidency, 1789 - 1829 by Ralph Ketcham in The New York Review of Books, Oct. 11, 1984; Wood, Gordon S. “Rambunctious American Democracy” review of How Democratic Is the American Constitution? by Robert A. Dahl; On Two Wings: Humble Faith and Common Sense at the American Founding by Michael Novak; James Madison by Garry Wills in The New York Review of Books, May 9, 2002 ; Wood, Gordon S. “History Lessons” review of The March of Folly: from Troy to Vietnam by Barbara W. Tuchman in The New York Review of Books, March 29, 1984 ; Wood, Gordon S. “Liberty’s Wild Man” review of The Long Affair: Thomas Jefferson and the French Revolution, 1785 - 1800 by Conor Cruise O’Brien in The New York Review of Books, Feb. 20, 1997.
27.Woodward, C. Vann “The Return of LBJ” review of Lone Star Rising:
Lyndon Johnson and His Times, 1908 – 1960 by Robert Dallek; The Triumph and Tragedy of Lyndon Johnson: the White House Years by Joseph A. Califano, Jr. in The New York Review of Books, Dec. 5, 1991;
Zald, Mayer N. “Explaining Our Fears” review of Risk and Culture. An Essay on the Selection of Technical and Environmental Dangers by Mary Douglas and Aaron Wildavsky in Science, Vol. 219, March 11, 1983.
Writings by others – magazine and newspaper articles
28. Beck, William “The Riddle of Life” in The Saturday Evening Post, May 10, 1958 ; Berenson, Robert A. “The Single-Payer Trap” in Health Care, Second Opinions, An Occasional Series Bethe, Hans A. “The Inferiority Complex” testimony to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on May 13, 1982 in The New York Review of Books, June 10, 1982 ; Blumenthal, Sidney “Drafting a Democratic Industrial Plan” in The New York Times Magazine, August 28, 1983 ; Bouvy, Larry J. “Knowledge of tax law unknown to lawmakers” letter to the Editor in The Tennessean ; Broad, William J. “Australians Create a Deadly Mouse Virus,” January 23, 2001.
29. Broder, David “ The Political Parties” in Political Profiles, Inc., 1979 ; Broder, David “The Politics of Divided Government: If it’s here to stay, is that cause for alarm?” in The Washington Post National Weekly Edition, September 11 – 17, 1989 ; Broder, David “Poli – Sci Earthquake” in The Washington Post, June 15, 1994 ; Broder, David S. “Take Back the Initiative: Special Interests have corrupted our democracy at the grass roots” in The Washington Post National Weekly Edition, April 10, 2000.
30. Chavez, Tim “Readers ask, What’s happened to me? I ask, What’s happened to Democrats?” in The Tennessean ; Clymer, Adam “ PAC Money’s Role in Congress Raises Suspicions” in The New York Times ; Cohen, Stephen F. “Why Bukharin’s Ghost Still Haunts Moscow” in The New York Times Magazine, Dec. 10, 1978 ; Coughlin, Ellen K. “ Many Political Scientists are Unhappy about Their Jobs, Salaries, Students” in The Chronicle of Higher Education, Sept. 11, 1978 ; Crittenden, Ann “The ‘Veto Power’ of Big Business” in The New York Times, Jan. 29, 1978.
31. Daughtrey, Larry “Carter Criticizes Moral Majority Saying Its Political Role is Error” in The Tennessean, October 30, 1980 ; Dale, Edwin L., Jr. “Economic Planners Find 1970 Humbling Experience” in The New York Times, January 24, 1971 ; Davis, W. Stanley “The Firebug Confesses” in Chess Life, December 1980 ; Diggins, John Patrick “The New Republic and Its Times” in The New Republic, December 10, 1984.
32. Draper, Theodore “ ‘How Not to Think About Nuclear War’: An Exchange” in The New York Review of Books, Sept. 23, 1982 ; Dyson, Freeman “Can Science Be Ethical?” in The New York Review of Books, April 10, 1997.