|1908-1909||Herbert C. Walker|
|1910-1914||Howard D. Dozier|
[The] purpose was to fill the educational void created by the [Civil] War and to ready the students for entrance into newly established universities such as Vanderbilt University.
The school was founded in 1900 with a bequest from Robert B. Jones. It was primarily a day school, but in the interest of attracting more students, co-principals A.C. Burkholder and Howard Dozier built a dormitory and planned to add boarders. The expenses of this project ruined the school's finances and forced Burkholder and Dozier to resign. The school merged with Lynnville Academy, part of the Giles County school system, but the buildings remained under the private control of the Jones School board of trustees. The trustees hired teachers and administered policies while the school was funded by the county and the state. Eventually, the county gained control of the property for a public high school. (1)
1. Keith Blue. A Study of the Private Preparatory Schools in the Areas of Maury, Giles and Lincoln Counties. Upper Duck River Development Association and TVA, October 1973.