|1879-1883||Edwin B. Chappell|
|1886-1898||Joshua H. Harrison|
|1899-1902||R. Grier Peoples|
|1899-1931||James A. Robins|
Originally McKenzie College, McTyeire School was founded in 1867 by Edwin Randle. Like McFerrin School, McTyeire initially granted degrees, but in 1879, the school became solely a preparatory school and changed its name to the McTyeire Institute, under the leadership of Edwin Chappell. The name changed to the McTyeire School in 1899. The school, in trust to the Methodist Episcopal Church, probably got its name from Methodist Bishop Holland McTyeire, who helped found Vanderbilt. McTyeire School's curriculum followed the custom of the time, focusing on classics, English, math and history, aimed at the Vanderbilt entrance exams. The school was forced to close during the Great Depression.