|1891-1893||James A. Bostick|
The Howard Institute, named for Tennessee education supporter Bithal Howard, opened in 1890, headed by L.B. Abell.
Abell was joined a year later by James Bostick and then by William Whiteman. The school’s students earned certificates enabling them to enter top universities, including Vanderbilt. Many of the students became Methodist ministers, and while the church was not officially attached to the denomination, it was unofficially supported by the Southern Methodist Episcopal Church.