|1914-1921||Mrs. W.T. Thomas|
Cumberland City Academy was established in 1893 in Cumberland City, south of Dover, Tenn. Within two years, a dormitory was built to accommodate the large student population, and by 1897 the dormitory was enlarged due to additional growth. Teachers as well as students lived at the school. Bayer left in 1914 and the property reverted to the wife of W.T. Thomas, one of the original founders. She ceded the school to the Methodist Episcopal Church, which voted in 1921 to return the school (now known as W.T. Thomas School) to Mrs. Thomas. In 1921 she deeded the property to the Stewart County Board of Education.