More Circulation Information
The Science & Engineering Library circulates all materials (including periodicals and reference) when it is
possible to do so. Ask at the Service Desk
if you need to borrow library materials.
Reviewing what you have checked out
- Review your circulation record on Acorn by selecting "My Account." Login with your VUNetID and e-password.
- Use the Annex Request Form .
Annex materials are delivered to the Stevenson Library twice daily on weekdays. Typically, requests sent to the Annex before 9:30am are available for pickup at the Service Desk by noon.
Requests sent to the Annex before 11:30 am are usually available by 3:00. We will notify you when your Annex materials are available.
- Annex items are held at the Service Desk for 7 days.
- Return books to any Vanderbilt library or deposit them in any book return on campus.
- Return recalled material and those with hourly loan periods, such as laptops, to the Stevenson Library Service Desk.
Late charges and fines
- Call 615-322-2775 if you have a question about a notice.
- We will send you up to 3 reminders of late materials.
- If books are not returned or renewed within 55 days of the date due, you will be sent a bill for the item. The bill will include a billing fee of $25.00, the cost of a new copy of the book, and a $35.00 cataloging fee.
- The billing notice will be mailed to your campus address, even if you use your e-mail address for other notices.
- If billed materials are returned, the replacement and cataloging charges are dropped, but you will be expected to pay the $15.00 late fee.
- Overdue fines for laptops are $7.50 per hour.
- Overdue fines for reserve items are $1.20 per hour.
- Failing to return a recalled item by the due date will result in a fine of $1.00 per day.
Surrogate cards (faculty only)
- Request a surrogate card if you want visiting researchers, graduate assistants, et al to have faculty borrowing privileges.
- Surrogate transactions are as though you were checking out the materials yourself. You receive all notices associated with the materials, and are responsible for any charges.
- Bring the completed borrowing authorization form to the Stevenson Library Service Desk.
- If an item is not in its proper location, fill out a search card at the Service Desk.
- We will search for the item within 24 hours of your request, and continue to search if the item is not found.
- You will be notified if the item is located. If the item is not found, the librarian with collection development responsibility for the discipline will be notified so that a replacement copy can be ordered.
- Materials with an Acorn location of In Process , Ask Staff , Baker Hold , or Verification have been received but are not yet on the library shelves. Use the Rush Request form to request expedited processing and notification of availability (usually within 1-2 business days).
- Items that have been ordered but have not yet arrived are listed in Acorn with the location On Order or None , depending upon the stage of the order. A Rush Request may expedite arrival and will speed up processing when the item arrives.
- Ask us to check on the status of items listed in Acorn as Being Labeled and At Bindery , and request expedited processing and notification of availability.
- Renew books an unlimited number of times at the Stevenson Library, as long as they have not been recalled.
- Renew books three times at any other Vanderbilt University library or online via Acorn.
- Renew Stevenson Library materials by telephone. Call 615-322-2775 during Service Desk hours. Please have the items in hand or barcode information ready.
- If you've exhausted your online renewals, take the the items to the Stevenson Library. We will check them in and back out to you, resetting the renewal limit.
- You won't be able to renew online if you have more than 25 overdue items. Take enough of your overdue items to reduce your overdue total to 24 to the Stevenson Library.