During peak request times, it may take 3-4 days to process requests.
Print reserve requests are due three weeks before the beginning of the semester to ensure that they will be processed and filled by the start of classes. Requests received after this date will be handled on a first come, first served basis, but we cannot guarantee that these requests will be ready by the first day of classes.
Print/Media is usually used for whole books, videos, and articles that are not allowed to be reproduced electronically. If you are thinking about placing articles on print reserve, please consider E-Reserves, because of the convenience to your students.
Here is the process:
First: You will need to fill out the Print Reserves Request form. You can download this Word document, print and fill it out by hand, or download the form, open and complete the form and save it on your computer, and then submit it as an email attachment to: . Please fill out the form completely.
- Please specify on the form the loan period desired for your reserves. If the pre-existing selections do not fit your needs, please specify a number of hours or days in the space marked "Other". We will accommodate loan period requests as closely as the system allows.
- Please note that any materials not specified as "Library Use Only" can be taken out of the library building.
Next: You will need to bring any items not owned by the library to us. For print articles, please provide a photocopy of each individual article. If you have filled out the form by hand, please bring it to the library as well.
- A Vanderbilt barcode sticker will be affixed to all personal items submitted for Print Reserve.
- Videos and CD-Roms must be submitted in cases marked with the title of the item.
- If you would like the library to purchase a book for reserves please contact your liaison librarian.
Your print reserve request will fall into one of three categories, and this table will describe the steps you should take depending on your category:
|Categories||What you need to do|
|You are using the same materials as you used in the previous two years.||Send an email to letting us know you're reusing items previously requested, including the related course number. If you have personal items not currently on the reserve shelf, please bring them in. You do not need to submit a form.|
|You are adding to materials you used in the previous two years.||Email indicating which previous items you intend to reuse and include the related course number. You will need to submit a form with information for additional items not previously requested.|
|This is your first time submitting a request form for this course, or your materials are completely new.||Please submit a form. If you are are requesting personal items be placed on reserve, please bring them to the library.|
Finally: Unless your request specifies multiple semesters, all reserve items will be removed after the end of the semester and all personal items will be returned. If you have a large volume of personal items, it is your responsibility to arrange for pickup.
Need help? Please feel free to contact us by email at or by phone at 322-8098.