About the Wilson Music Library

Mission

"The mission of the Anne Potter Wilson Music Library is to support the curricular needs for research and performance of the Vanderbilt student, faculty and pre-college communities, provide access to print and electronic resources relating to music in a variety of formats, empower users with the information-seeking skills necessary for the lifelong pursuit of learning, and offer high-quality service in a positive, relevant, and up-to-date learning environment." (Adopted 2009)

Music Collection Development Policy

The Collection Development Policy for music resources can be found here.

History

The Music Library was originally established in 1947 in the Social-Religious Building (now the Wyatt Center) on the Campus of George Peabody School for Teachers (now Peabody College of Vanderbilt University). In 1964, the Blair Academy of Music first opened as the Pre-College division of the School of Music at Peabody College. In 1977, the Blair Academy broke away from Peabody as an independent institution. Through the initiative of Chancellor Alexander Heard in 1981, the Blair Academy formally merged with Vanderbilt University, and began offering undergraduate programs as part of a wider liberal arts curriculum. The same year, ground was broken for for the school's current facility on Blakemore Avenue, the Music Library moving in in 1985. The next year, Blair began awarding its own bachelor's degrees as the Blair School of Music. In 2001, the library was renovated, doubling its space. Now a formal division of the Jean and Alexander Heard Library system, the Anne Potter Wilson Music Library was named for one of Vanderbilt's major benefactors, the granddaughter of Myra Jackson Blair, after whom the Blair School of Music was named.

General information on holdings

  • Books: 23,000+
  • Scores: 28,000+
  • Sound Recordings: 31,000+
  • Videorecordings: 2600+

(Current as of December 2013)

Blair School of Music

Music Library Map

OmniUpdate