Articles and Databases
- AgEcon Search -- Research in Agricultural & Applied Economics
Indexes full text reports of scholarly research in the field of agricultural and applied economics.
- America History and Life (AHL) (restricted to V.U. users)
Provides citations and abstracts of literature on U.S. and Canadian history, including economic history. Covers pre-history to the present.
- Asia Studies Full-text Online (restricted to V.U. users)
Provides key indicators and fulltext documents from the Asian Development Bank, Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation and other research institutions, covering all of Asia, Australia/New Zealand, the Americas Pacific Rim countries, and the Pacific islands.
- British Library for Development Studies --Bibliographic Database
Europe's largest research collection on economic and social change in developing countries. Contains records of over 116,000 documents held by the Library - serial titles, monographs acquired since 1987, and journal articles selectively indexed since 1990. Indexes online and print materials. Services from the Institute of Development Studies (IDS).
- CIAO: Columbia International Affairs Online (restricted to V.U. users)
Designed to be the most comprehensive source for theory and research in international affairs. It publishes a wide range of scholarship from 1991 that includes working papers from university research institutes, occasional papers series from NGOs, foundation-funded research projects, and conference proceedings.
- EconLit / American Economic Association (restricted to V.U. users)
This is the best overall index to the world's economic literature. Indexes working papers, dissertations, conference proceedings, over 400 major journals, books, book reviews (in fulltext), and more.
- IBSS: International Bibliography of Social Sciences (restricted to V.U. users)
Includes the International Bibliography of Economics. Bibliographic records for international material dating back to 1951. Indexes articles from more than 800 economics journals, books and selected chapters from multi-authored books.
- International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences (restricted to V.U. users)
This reference work contains over 3,800 reference articles and 150 biographical articles in full-text. Covers Area and International Studies, Demography, Education, Economics, Gender Studies, Health, History, Political Science, Public Policy and Policy Studies, Sociology, Statistics, Urban Studies, and more.
- JOLIS Library Catalog / World Bank and the International Monetary Fund
Joint library network of the WB and the IMF. International in scope, it includes references to books, articles, working papers, conference proceedings, technical reports, and more.
- National Trade Data Bank
Provides access to Country Commercial Guides, Market Research Reports, and Best Market Reports; export opportunities by industry, country, and product; import and export statistics; and demographic, political, and socio-economic conditions in over 200 countries.
- PAIS: Public Affairs Information Service Archive (restricted to V.U. users) -- Covers global public policy and social issues from 1915 to 1976.
- PAIS: Public Affairs Information Service International (restricted to V.U. users)
Covers current events, public policy, and the social sciences in general, including economic and social conditions, government and politics, and international relations. Indexes selected articles in Congressional Quarterly Weekly Report, National Journal, The American Political Science Review, National Review, and The New Republic.
- SEC Filings & Forms (EDGAR) / U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
"All public companies, foreign and domestic, are required to file registration statements, periodic reports, and other forms electronically through EDGAR."
- SSRN: Social Sciences Research Network
"The SSRN Electronic Library contains information about working and accepted papers in the fields of financial economics, accounting research, legal scholarship, economic research and Latin American economics. The library consists of an Abstract Database which contains information on over 21,000 articles contributed by scholars worldwide, and an Electronic Paper Collection which is a collection of files containing full text of over 8,500 working papers in downloadable Acrobat pdf format." (Note: this index includes NBER working papers. Use the NBER subscribers link if you are affiliated with Vanderbilt.)
- World Bank e-Library (restricted to V.U. users)
Full-text information resource for social and economic development. Made up of World Bank publications and Policy Research Working Papers. Includes all titles published since 2000 and selected titles from the 1980's and 1990's. New titles are added as they are published. Information not available in print is also included.
- World Bank Group Documents and Reports
Provides access to over 14,000 World Bank documents free-of-charge, including Country Economic & Sector Work, Project Documents, and Research & Working Papers.
- Other Vanderbilt Library Databases
Top of Page
Data and Statistics
- American FactFinder / U.S. Census Bureau
U.S. population, housing, economic and geographic data.
- Asian Historical Statistics Project Data
A research project to collect early modern data on modern Asia.
- Beige Book / Federal Reserve System
Summarizes anecdotal information on current economics information by Federal Reserve District and sector. Information is gathered from reports from Bank and Branch directors and interviews with key business contacts, economists, market experts, and other sources.
- BICO Reports / U.S. Dept. of Agriculture
"Export/Import Statistics for Bulk, Intermediate, and Consumer Oriented (BICO) Foods and Beverages."
- Budget of the United States Government
- Bureau of Economic Analysis / U.S. Department of Commerce
- Bureau of Labor Statistics / U.S. Department of Labor
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics / U.S. Department of Transportation
- Census Economic Briefing Room / U.S. Bureau of the Census
- CIA World Factbook
A comprehensive resource of facts and statistics on more than 250 countries and other entities.
- Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) -- Official Statistics (available in Central Library only)
Statistics of the former USSR republics, some coverage from 1980. Annual data, with some quarterly and monthly data. Some indicators are in the local national currency, some in Russian rubles, and others in U.S. dollars.
- Consumer Price Indexes / U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Current Index to Statistics (restricted to V.U. users)
Bibliographic index to publications in statistics and related fields. Indexes the entire contents of 162 core journals as of 2003, in most cases from 1975 (or first issue if later) to the current end year, and selected articles from about 1200 additional journals (cumulatively). Also indexes about 11,000 books in statistics published since 1975.
- Economic Report of the President of the United States
- Economic Statistics Briefing Room
Provides links to information on current Federal economic indicators produced by a number of Federal agencies.
- Economic Survey of Latin America and the Caribbean 1996-2003 (available in Central Library only)
Key indicators on Latin America and the Caribbean, including employment, trade, exchange rates. It may not be as current as the annual print version located in the Central Library, Govt Info, 4th floor, HC161 .U525. (Note: to display data press F10.)
- EIU CountryData / Economist Intelligence Unit - The Economist (restricted to V.U. users)
Provides quarterly, monthly, and annual economic indicators and forecasts for 278 series on 117 countries or 40 regional aggregates from 1980.
- Eurostat / European Commission
Provides social, economic, agricultural, and other key indicators for Europe free-of-charge.
- FAOSTAT / Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Collection of multilingual databases currently containing over 1 million time-series records covering international statistics in the following areas: Production, Trade, Food Balance Sheets, Fertilizer and Pesticides, Land Use and Irrigation, Forest Products, Fishery Products, Population, Agricultural Machinery, and Food Aid Shipments.
"The gateway to statistics from over 100 U.S. Federal agencies."
- Ferrett (Federal Electronic Research and Review Extraction Tool)
Offers access to CPS and SIPP data.
- Financial Data Finder / Ohio State Univ. -- "Database of web sites targeted for finance researchers and scholars."
- FRASER®: Federal Reserve Archival System for Economic Research / Research Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
"On this web site you will find links to scanned images (in Adobe® Acrobat® PDF format) of historical economic statistical publications, releases, and documents."
- FRED®: Federal Reserve Economic Data / Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
"FRED® provides historical U.S. economic and financial data, including daily U.S. interest rates, monetary and business indicators, exchange rates, balance of payments and regional economic data for Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri and Tennessee. All files, except those that are compressed, are in ascii format."
- Global Development Finance (GDF) / World Bank (restricted to V.U. users)
Provides external debt and financial flow data for 150 countries, including 138 that report to the World Bank Debtor Reporting System. Coverage from 1970, and statistical forecasts for future years.
- Global Financial Data
A fee based historical financial data service. Free access to sample annual data series.
- Global Statistics / United Nations
Statistics and links to statistical agencies.
- GLOBUS & National Trade Data Bank (requires password; please go to the Govt Info/Media Services desk)
"Current and historical trade-related releases, international market research, trade opportunities, country analysis, and [STAT-USA's] trade library."
- Historical Census Browser 1790 - 1970 / U.S. Census Bureau / Univ. of Virginia
Data on the people and the economy of the U.S. for each state and county. Produced by the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) from U.S. Census Bureau data.
- Historical Statistics of the United States: Millennial Edition Online (restricted to V.U. users)
This is the revised and expanded edition of Historical Statistics of the United States Colonial Times to 1970, Bicentenial edition, U.S. Census Bureau. Current print edition available in the Central Library, Govt Info, 4th floor, HA202 .H57 2006.
- International Financial Statistics / International Monetary Fund (restricted to V.U. users)
Approximately 32,000 time series covering more than 200 countries. Coverage from 1948, where data are available.
- International Statistical Agencies / U.S. Census Bureau
- Interstate Statistical Committee of the Commonwealth of Independent States
- LABORSTA / International Labour Organization
Covers economically active population employment, unemployment, hours of work, wages, labour cost, consumer prices, occupational injuries occupational accidents, and strikes and lockouts since 1969.
- Lexis Nexis Statistical (restricted to V.U. users)
Indexes statistical publications issued by the U.S. government from 1973 (from American Statistics Index) and about 2,000 indispensable titles from some 100 international intergovernmental organizations since 1983 (from Index to International Statistics). For each source includes bibliographic data; subjects covered; content and currency, and sources of the data. "Power Tables" includes over 130,000 statistical tables.
- NBER Macrohistory Database
An extensive data set that covers all aspects of the pre-WWI and interwar economies, including production, construction, employment, money, prices, asset market transactions, foreign trade, and government activity. Many series are highly disaggregated, and many exist at the monthly or quarterly frequency. Has some coverage of the United Kingdom, France and Germany, although predominantly covers the United States.
- NBER Data
Access to 35,000 time series online.
- Penn World Tables
The official site of the Penn World Tables. You may also access the Penn World Tables in an easy to use HTML format at: Penn World Table 6.1 hosted by the University of Toronto.
- RFE: Resources For Economists: Finance and Financial Markets
Only lists finance and financial data likely to be of interest to economists.
- RFE: Journal Data and Program Archives
Describes sites that archive data and programs from economic journals.
- RFE: U.S. Macro and Regional Data
- RFE: Other U.S. Data
- RFE: World and Non-U.S. Data
- Social Statistics Briefing Room
Current Federal social statistics
- Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC)
A CIESIN (Consortium for International Earth Science Information Network) production. SEDAC's " mission is to develop and operate applications that support the integration of socioeconomic and Earth science data and to serve as an "Information Gateway" between the Earth and social sciences." Includes global, regional and national datasets.
- STAT-USA / U.S. Dept. of Commerce (requires password; please go to the Govt Info/ Media Services desk)
Offers access to the National Trade Data Bank and other sources of economic and trade-related news and statistical information.
- State and County Quick Facts / U.S. Census Bureau
- Statistical Abstract of the United States / U.S. Census Bureau
"As the National Data Book it contains a collection of statistics on social and economic conditions in the United States. Selected international data are also included."
- TableBase (restricted to V.U. users)
An international database that specializes in tabular data dealing with companies, products, industries, and demographics. Tables cover rankings, forecasts, output, consumption, exports, imports, and more. Tables are from a range of sources including trade and business publications, investment research, trade associations, statistical annuals, primary research, international organizations and government. For tables from the trade and business press and reports, full text is available along with tables, in most cases.
- Tax Statistics: Internal Revenue Service / U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Tennessee Communities / Tennessee Dept. of Economic & Community Development
- U.S. Bureau of the Census
Provides access to a variety of data from Census reports.
- U.S Department of Agriculture / Economic Research Service
- U.S. Economy at a Glance / U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- USDA Economics and Statistics System / Cornell University
"...contains nearly 300 reports and datasets from the economics agencies of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. These materials cover U.S. and international agriculture and related topics."
- U.S. Trade Internet System / U.S. Dept. of Agriculture
Provides "United States international trade statistics on Agricultural, Fish, Forest and Textile Products from the inception of the Harmonized coding system in 1989 to the present."
- World Development Indicators (WDI) / World Bank (restricted to V.U. users)
Provides access to more than 550 economic and social indicators, with time series for 208 countries and 18 country groups. Coverage from 1960, where data are available.
Top of Page
Directories of Economists and Economics Departments
Top of Page
Electronic Journals at Vanderbilt
The following list consists of the top twenty economics journals ranked by impact factor in the 2006 ISI Journal Citation Report. (Impact factor = cites to recent articles divided by the number of recent articles.) To browse or search all of the e-journal titles at the Vanderbilt Library, please see the E-Journals Locator page. Remote access is restricted to current Vanderbilt faculty, students, and staff.
Other Journal Sources at Vanderbilt
Free Online Journals and Other Periodicals
- Science Direct (restricted to V.U. users)
Database of full-text electronic journal articles. Includes 84 of Elsevier's economics and finance journals.
Top of Page
Note: for the searchable databases, try the following terms: economist, economic and/or economics. Other related terms: financial analyst, forecast analyst, market analyst.
Top of Page
Guides to Internet Resources
- Dismal Scientist: an Economic Information and Economic Analysis Website
Economic news, data, forecasts and links.
- EH Net: Economic History Services
Includes abstracts, book reviews, discussion lists and course syllabi.
- Information Please - Business and Economy
Includes links to data, economic and business information, and an annual review for 1997 and 1998.
- International Economics Gateway
Links to information on a number of domains relevant to international economics.
- QM&RBC: Quantitative Macroeconomics and Real Business Cycle Home Page
A collection of links to several resources about quantitative macroeconomics and especially real business cycle (RBC) theory. Bibliography and code available.
- RFE: Resources for Economists on the Internet
An excellent guide, lists the many resources on the Internet of interest to academic and practicing economists, and those interested in economics.
- WebEc - World Wide Web Resources in Economics
WebEc is an effort to categorize free information in economics on the WWW. Searchable. Part of the NetEc group that collaborates with the EconWPA, IER, RFE, EDIRC and IDEAS.
Top of Page
News and Current Information
- BBC News -- International Business
- CBS MarketWatch
- Census Economic Briefing Room / U.S. Bureau of the Census
- CNN World Business Today
- Lexis Nexis Academic (restricted to V.U. users)
Includes Business Week, The Economist, and U.S. News & World Report from 1975, and The New York Times from 1980. Features a variety of full text sources and provides up-to-date information on current events, business, law, and medicine.
Business, political, and domestic news from Japan.
- Market News International
Reports on major economies, monetary policy, currencies, bonds, derivatives.
- Marketplace Radio Business News / Public Radio International
- The New York Times -- Business Section
- U.S. News & World Report
- Wall Street Journal (1984- ) (restricted to V.U. users)
- Wall Street Journal Interactive Edition
- Yahoo! News -- Business Headlines
Top of Page
Organizations, Societies, Boards & Associations
Top of Page
Top of Page
Top of Page
Top of Page
Send comments to
Last Updated 03/22/12