||At the time of the founding of
Vanderbilt University, the first library was in College Hall.
|| Peabody Normal College founded;
located on the grounds of the University of Nashville
|| Law Library located in the former
Dental Building on College Hill; building renamed Law School
|| School of Religion Library begun
in old Wesley Hall
|| Geology and Pharmacy libraries
located in Old Science Hall
|| Biology Library established in
Old Science Hall
|| College Hall (now Kirkland Hall)
fire; that library destroyed
|| Medical Library established at
School of Medicine, located at College Hill.
||Chemistry Library established in
|| Peabody College moves to 21st
and Edgehill from College Hill. Library housed in the Home Economics
|| Law School library moves to College
|| Dedication of Peabody College
|| Scarritt College for Christian
Workers relocated to Nashville from Kansas City
|| Medical Library established on
campus when School of Medicine relocates from College Hill.
||School of Pharmacy closes.
||Biology Library moves to Buttrick
|| Wesley Hall burns; School of Religion
library partially destroyed. Geology and Physics Library in
||School of Religion Library re-established
in Calhoun Hall
||A. F. Kuhlman becomes Director
||Nashville Union Catalog created;
card catalog that includes holdings of Vanderbilt, Peabody,
Scarritt, Fisk University, Meharry Medical College, Nashville
Public Library, and Tennessee State Library.
||Joint University Library Corporation
created by trust indenture. Participants were Vanderbilt University,
George Peabody College and Scarritt College
||General Library Building completed;
School of Religion Library relocates to GLB
||Music Library established; located
in the Social-Religious Building (now the Wyatt Center) on the
||David Kaser named Library Director
||Law Library moves into new Law
||Medical Library moves into new
wing of Medical Center North
||Special Collections established;
located in the General Library Building.
||One millionth volume added: Liber
Chronicarium (Nuremberg Chronicle) of 1493. Donated by Jesse
||Television News Archives established
as part of library system; located in the General Library Building
||Frank P. Grisham becomes Director
||Scarritt Library moves into new
||H. Fort Flowers Wing added to General
||Resource Information Center established
at Owen School, located at 2505 West End Avenue
||Science departmental library collections
consolidated and moved into new Science Library in the Stevenson
Center for the Natural Sciences
||Library begins to catalog materials
using a computer-based network, OCLC
||Resource Information Center renamed
||Vanderbilt/Peabody Merger. Joint
University Library Corporation dissolved. Library system becomes
Vanderbilt University Library. Scarritt Library no longer part
||Management Library moves to new
Owen School location
||Library system renamed The Jean
and Alexander Heard Library, in honor of Chancellor Emeritus
Alexander Heard and his wife Jean, founder of the Friends of
the Library organization
||Malcolm Getz named Associate Provost
and Director of the Library
||Library automation system begun.
Called "Acorn," reflecting not only the presence of an acorn
on the Vanderbilt family crest, but also as metaphor for source,
beginnings, nurture, compactness.
||Two-millionth volume acquired:
Journal of the Proceedings of the Congress, held at Philadelphia,
September 5, 1774, the first edition of the official journal
of the Continental Congress. Donated by Ridley Wills II.
||Television News Archive reporting
structure transferred to Office of the General Counsel.
||Shirley Hallblade named Acting
||Annette and Irwin Eskind Biomedical
Library building dedicated.
||Paul M. Gherman named University
||Television News Archive becomes
part of the library once again.
Education Library renamed Peabody Library.
Three-millionth volume acquired: Monuments Anciens du
Mexique by Count Jean Frédéric de Waldeck.
Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Ridley Wills III.
the Library's first online annual report, is posted.
Connie Vinita Dowell named Dean of Libraries.
Last updated September 28, 2009.